The Henrietta was a 3rd Rate Frigate launched in 1654 at Horsleydown on the River Thames, costing £5,568 (4). Originally named the Langport she was renamed after the restoration on the 23rd May 1660.
It was noted on the 31st December in the Calendar of state papers (3) , that a recent storn had seen the destruction of many ships, among them the Henrietta, Centurion, Blade of Wheat, Unity and Dover Prize (1). The actual incident was on the 25th December, with London Gazette reporting a gusting storm blowing from the south west. The Henrietta was forced from her moorings in the Sound, despite laying out both sheet anchors and the bower anchor. She at first struck upon St Nicholas's Isand (Drakes Island), breaking her stempost and then after onto Fisher's Nose beneath the Citadel before sinking at the entrance to the Cattewater (2). Of the 355 crew estimated to be on board only 80 survived.
The wreck was broken up on the 11th April 1690 with instructions that 'the sound timbers to be used to repairt the graving place' (1).
If you have any more information about this ship then please contact us.
(1) Hepper, David, 1994, British Warship Losses in the Age of Sail, Jean Boudriot Publications, pg 13
(2) London Gazette (London, England), December 30 1689 January 2 1690, Issue 2519, sourced from the British Library
(3) "William and Mary: December 1689", Calendar of State Papers Domestic: William and Mary, 1689-90 (1895), pp 341-388, URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk
(4)Winfield, R, 2009, British Warships in the Age of Sail 1603-1714: Design, Construction, Careers and Fates. Seaforth Publishing